An Easy Chicken Salad Recipe that’s a healthier version of the classic chicken salad we all love. Made with greek yogurt, mustard, fresh lemon juice, pecans, grapes and a few herbs for the perfect balance of creamy + crunchy. Serve it on bread, on top of a salad or a lettuce cup for a low carb option.
Healthy Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
The past couple of weeks my husband and I have been talking about having food for him to eat at work that he can grab during the day. He is one busy man and sometimes lunch just doesn’t happen. He’ll work right through it or grab a spoonful of peanut butter to hold him over. I’m not okay with it! He’s 6’5″ and NEEDS to have food in his belly!
We transitioned to have one of our blenders at his office so now he can make protein shakes at work if he wants. He’s not the best at remembering to pack a lunch, and even when I have leftovers set aside for him in the fridge it’s still a struggle to get him to take it in. So I’m working on creating large batch recipes that he can just have at work and Chicken Salad is the perfect make ahead, take with you to work lunch option out there!
Ingredients you’ll need for this Recipe:
- Green Onion
- Greek Yogurt
- Herbs & Spices
How to Make Chicken Salad?
Chicken Salad can be a really easy recipe to make and a great option for a healthy lunch to have on hand during the week! Serve it between two slices of bread or a lettuce cup for a low carb option!
- Prep your Chicken: Cook your chicken – either roast, boil, grill or pan sear. Once your chicken is cooked, then shred it. One of my favorite ways to shred chicken in a hurry is to put it in a kitchen aid mixer and use the paddle attachment. Turn the speed to high and let it go. Easy Peasy.
- Make a Sauce: Most chicken salad sauces have a mayonnaise base. However, for this chicken salad I use greek yogurt, mustard, a small amount of mayonnaise, lemon juice, smoked paprika (for a smoky flavor), sage and garlic powder. This sauce is savory and tart but balances so well with the chicken and sweet grapes.
- Add your Extras: Most people add fruit, hardboiled eggs, celery, nuts or onions for a little added flavor.
- Toss it: Add your chicken, sauce and extra ingredients to one bowl. Use a large wooden spoon and stir everything together.
What is the best way to shred chicken quickly?
There are a couple of ways to shred chicken. But I’ve found the best way to shred chicken in a hurry is to place cooked chicken in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Turn on your mixer and blend until shredded, approximately 45 seconds to 1 minute.
How long is chicken salad good for?
If stored properly, in an air tight container in the refrigerator, it will last 5-7 days.
Can you freeze chicken salad with mayonnaise?
I would not recommend freezing chicken salad. It tends to get watery after thawing out. However, if you choose to freeze it. Place it in a freezer safe storage bag, remove all the air from the bag and store up to two months. When ready to serve, thaw out in the refrigerator for 24 hours. I would highly recommend adding more mayo to thicken it up or it will be runny.
I like to add some tang to my salad and cut the calories by adding greek yogurt and mustard instead of JUST mayo. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice can add so much to any dish and really make it pop! This recipe has the perfect amount of sauce versus chicken and grapes.
If you’re in a need of a healthy easy lunch recipe to make for the family, this recipe is it! It feeds an army and is freakin delicious!
Bon Appetit friends!
What goes with Chicken Salad?
Easy Classic Chicken Salad Recipe made with greek yogurt, mustard, grapes & fresh lemon juice. Creamy + crunchy, and makes the best chicken salad sandwiches or great served over a bed of lettuce or salad!
- 2lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups halved red grapes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1–2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- To a large bowl add shredded chicken, red grapes, pecans, and green onions.
- In a small bowl add yogurt, mayo, mustard, sage, smoked paprika, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the chicken dish.
- Stir everything together until it is completely combined.
- Serve on a slice of bread or in a cup of bibb lettuce.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 157 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: classic chicken salad, easy chicken salad recipe, light chicken salad, healthy chicken salad, how to make chicken salad, best chicken salad recipe, easy lunch recipe, healthy lunch ideas
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->